Beam Drop Fixes
• pods should no longer spawn below terrain
• beam drops should occur more frequently
• changes were made to the effects
• changed the volume of footsteps
• changed the volume of beamdrops
• assets were optimized for graphical performance
• changed interiors of housing models
• improvements made to surrounding areas
• optimized asset details
• changed interiors of huts
• suppressor is now compatible with the AK
• fixed knife recharge exploit
• fixed weapon hotkey issues in gungame
• fixed camera perspective during landing sequence
• pregame now allows spectate if you prefer not to play
• Beamdrop event system
• Added AK47
• Update engine version to 4.16.1
• New tropical lagoon area (taking the place of the flat swamplands)
• Reworked Medieval area, iterated on Roman area
• Foliage optimization and undergrowth adjustments
• Loot tables, loot placement, loot ratios have been adjusted
• Reworked netcode from ground up - reduced cases of rubberbanding and improved hit registration. Shooting feels more responsive
• Edited weapons firing animations, UMP specifically was focused
• Fix shooting while running
• Fixed fire mode bug
• Character animations improved - knife pose, pistol strafe
• Rebuilt streaming textures in preload, for clients using HDDs
• Fixed screen resolution issues within the r.SetRes commandline, UI implementation in testing
• Audio sliders for all audio outputs added/corrected
• Level lighting has been iterated on 5000 times
• The above caused us to delete one of the suns
Last Weekend Until Servers Go Offline!
This will be the last weekend to get your fix before servers go offline for an extended period while we work on implementing new features! Our dedicated QA testers will help us test the game during this time. We will have more info in our Discord and our forums on how to join our dedicated QA team. Stay tuned!
We are currently investigating an issue where the game's framerate declines over time. If you are experiencing this issue, we recommend exiting out of the game and restarting after every match.
Islands of Nyne Wiki:
Introducing the Official Islands of Nyne Wiki hosted by Gamepedia, calling out the Islanders to assist editing:
-FPS Performance Increase: We’ve identified an issue that was causing significant framerate issues. Performance will be much better this week.
-Roman Area Unlocked!
-Tracers are more visibile: To help you determine where you are being shot from.
-Enabled audio occlusion on gunshots
-Made suppressed weapons more audible over distance
-Made footsteps louder and more audible over distance
-Enemies reloading/using nanomed are more audible over distance
-Added unique headshot hitmarker sound
-Replaced ambient swamp sounds in canyon with less toad-croaking/splashing ones
-Fixed a bug where hitmarker sounds would stack for shotgun sounds
-Removed “You have been eliminated” audio in gun game.
-Disabled ability to join matches in progress
-Disabled ability to join match once countdown has started
Welcome streamers! The NDA has been lifted so you can stream as much as you'd like. This is our first embargo lift, offering a snapshot of ION, early in its development cycle. Thank you everyone for joining us this weekend!
A reminder: ION is currently in an alpha state, which means you will experience bugs, unfinished features, gameplay balance issues, and other factors that may hinder your gameplay experience. The content currently available in no way represents the final product.
Following the theme of the last few weeks, this week had us focused on optimization and stability again. We've improved FPS performance as well as hitreg and tackled some crashes from last week.
Additional Tweaks and Improvements:
-Migrated from Steam find sessions to a custom solution. This should improve matchmaking
-Tweaked sprint weapon offset/pitch for each weapon separately
-Reduced size of red dot reticles
-Footstep sounds improved
-Deagle sound improved
-Added new ammobox art
-Lowered shield HP by 5
-Tightened up plasma field pacing
-Plasma field damage increased to 3 damage per second (up from 2)
May 26th Patch Notes
This week we focused on tracking down and exterminating some nasty bugs in addition to reworking a few of our existing systems. Overall, you should expect a much more stable build and less “little” glitches along the way. Here’s whats new this weekend:
- Getting kicked back to main menu after landing (needs more testing)
- Weapon getting pushed up in random areas (needs more testing)
- Rare case of players spawning very far away from the playable area
- Added whizzes and cracks sounds for bullet flybys, giving you more feedback when you are being shot at
- True safe zone randomness: safe zones leading up to the final one are completely random, allowing for unique combat scenarios
- Delay in player death animation in pre-queue under heavy server load
- Rare case of items and weapons firing like an MK18
- Survival time should not include pre-queue time
- Spectating after death has been disabled
- All reported level bugs fixed
- Safe zone stages and plasma field pacing should feel better
- Sako85 Movement speed penalty increased
- Plasma field does 2 damage every 1 second instead of 5 every 2 seconds
- All sight/scope reticles
- Sprinting is 25% faster, walking is 12.5% faster, acceleration has been reduced (experimental)
- Map forces walk when opened during sprint
- Stop sprinting while inspecting weapon
- Better performance in Pre-queue
- Can’t shoot until weapon is in forward position
May 21 Patch Notes
Improved match pacing - safe zones should be more adaptive
Weapon handling overhaul - movement spread penalty has been removed
Less crashing (hopefully)
Improved MK18 - ironsights reworked and textures improved
Improved ACOG - this optic has been completely reskinned
Map bugs patched - no more safezones outside of bounds
New sexy item - (it's a surprise)
May 19th Patch Notes (combined with May 12th)
Optimization - These past two weeks has had the team in optimization mode as we continue to clean up our level as well as our code to improve FPS performance. We are still aware that this is a big issue and we still have a ways to go, but expect to see continual performance increases every week.
Hit Reg Redone - After our first few couple of weeks, data showed that hit reg had a lot of room for improvement. @Zenity has taken the past two weeks to completely redo and improve the way our hit reg is handled. This should vastly improve the way gunfights feel and require much less lead time when firing on moving targets. We'll continue to fine tune this every week and update you on anything we do.
Gun Game Returns! - We've tracked down and resolved the issue that was causing the server to crash during pre-queue gun game.
Proximity Chat - Our first iteration of proximity chat is in! Press and hold alt (by default) to get some friendly voice chat going.
Weapon Balance - Mk18 has received a damage increase at medium range. UMP has received a damage increase at close range. Shotgun has received a damage increase at close range. As well as the damage buffs, we've increased the movement spread penalty while firing. You won't feel this in close quarters, but at longer distances it will encourage you to stop and take your shots carefully.
-Lots of behind the scenes improvements these past two weeks as well
May 5th Patch Notes
Optimization - one of our highest priorities, we've taken a lot of time this week to optimize IoN and get it running better on a wider range of systems. We've also improved the engine scalability settings in the graphics options so adjusting graphical settings will provide a more meaningful FPS boost. Overall, expect to see better performance on the island.
Hit Reg Improvement - another major priority, we've looked at a lot of data from last weekend and have reduced a number of variables that were replicating on the network, thus improving network responsiveness. Hit registration will feel better.
Drop In Sequence Improvement - You can now move as you plummet to the ground! We wanted to give you more control over where you land so now you'll be able maneuver in the air while falling. Also, nobody should be getting stuck in pesky trees anymore as now you'll tear through and destroy any tree you land in.
Shield Functionality - a big balance change for this week, we've changed the way shields work. Previously, shields would completely block damage until they were broken. Now, shields take a percentage of the damage that would have been dealt to you and takes it away from your shield instead of your health. In addition to that, both shields and helmets cannot be stashed away in your item slots to replace your broken one. We believe these changes will provide a more balanced playing field as well as address the "shield swapping" issue.
Pre-Queue Gungame - We had an issue last week where gungame in the spaceship waiting room would crash the server. This has been fixed and gun game is back.
Kill Confirmed and Kill Feed - we've added a kill confirmed notification that will display when you've killed an enemy. After many requests, we've also added in a kill feed this week for testing and feedback purposes. Now you can see who's getting taken out during the match. Let us know what you think!
Operation: Chop Down Trees - we've reduced the amount of trees on the map to help with visibility and reduce clutter.
Weapon Balance - A few weapons, namely the Sako sniper were performing less than optimally at longer distances. We've brought up some of the minimum damage values on weapons so you can still deal decent damage at longer ranger. The M1014 shotgun ADS and hipfire spread has also been reduced significantly.
Controls - We've added toggle ADS and toggle crouch options. Sprint is now "Sticky Sprint" which is pretty much the same as toggle but you have to hold W down at the same time. We will be working on that one more based on how it's received this weekend. Configure them how you see fit! More toggle settings will be making their way in soon.
Level Bugs - We've patched up all the reported bugs on the level. Thanks for all the bug reports, keep em coming!
Battleye Anticheat implemented
Audio bug at the end of the match fixed
You can now loot ammo from bodies
Grenade and Nanomed equip hotkeys added
Plasma field is not present at start of match - creeps in from edges during 1st plasma convergence
Animations cleaned up
And lots more tweaks!