My feedback after few alpha versions (from competitive pov)

It’s good to see that we have got new alpha test with some major changes, however some topics for me are still a point of discussion, and I don’t like how silent devs are in terms of upcoming future, direction and goals to achieve. While I completely understand that they want to focus on polish and adding basic functionality to the build, I think they should be more open to discuss and share their vision for Islands Of Nyne.

My current concerns are:

• Low TTK that removes any sort of counter fights, you get hit from back, You are dead. You die from random shots too much with no chance to fight back, and low TTK is one of the reasons, why is that a thing.
  • Armor system is placebo atm. Armor has almost 0 protection from shots unless it’s a pistol bullet hitting your armor plates. I don’t like the concept of 4 armor parts because it makes looting even longer which is something, fast paced br game should avoid at all cost.
  • Not sure is it a bug or is it intended but You can 1 hit headshot from sako while he has 100% helmet.
  • The new color palette, fog, atmosphere is making me a struggle, I’m a hardcore, old school player who loves visual clarity, and I personally enjoyed previous iterations of ambient. The game is too purple atm.
  • FOV right now goes up to 100, for first person shooter, where You need to have eyes on everything because sound occlusion doesn’t work well atm is not much. Weapon model is not scaling with fov which makes a weird feeling that You are still attached to console standards of 65 fov. I would really like to use 120 since it gives a proper vision perspective for ‘hide n seek’ type of game where reaction time is the biggest factor.
  • Radar is hard to navigate and give callouts to teammate, would be good to see additional directions as a circle so You can instantly throw information that enemy is on NW or SE etc.
  • I liked old menu UI, it was a centralised page where no additional clicks were requiered. With player model being displayed on screen, You cut most of useful information behind tabs, and while I understand that You wanted to make clear UI that 12 year olds will understand, the old concept with simple, and fast loading UI was very good for competitive game like ION, with mini scoreboard, match report, rank, friend list and news feed.
  • In terms of map design, some buildings have no sense in terms of corridors, especially castle towers, some entities are wrong scaled, like a hunger games style circle field, which is huge in compare to player models, or a hidden hi-tech cave with nothing in it, or sights to pick up are very small and hard to see, or item bins being too high so You cannot see what item is hidden there until You hover and see through wall.
  • Player looting need serious rework,while I like the concept of throwed ammo boxes, The items attached to player body are hidden until You hover mouse on them which makes hard and long to navigate.

That’s it for now. Keep the game going. While it’s real alpha, You did an amazing job with bringing real BR experience to people. Proper first person combat and fast paced battles are something people are most excited about :slight_smile:

Alright, i’m going to give my two cents on your opinions and I hope i’m met with a good clean debate. Although I do not disagree with all of your bullet points I do have a differing opinion on a lot of your thoughts. Ill go threw one at a time and give my personal outlook.

Low TTK that removes any sort of counter fights, you get hit from back, You are dead. You die from random shots too much with no chance to fight back, and low TTK is one of the reasons, why is that a thing.

1. I don’t know what TTK is… also no one dies from random shots or at least hardly any… like ever.(in the dome) Those shots you refer to as “random” are aimed and fired with purpose and grace. Were not out here 360 no scoping fools. I mean some of us are but that’s a different story all together. Know that just because you got shot out of nowhere doesn’t mean it was random. That shit was calculated to the highest degree. And as far as not having a chance if you get tagged in the back. Tell that to the wicked sick large group of individuals I’ve 180 deaged in the face because they missed my dome piece. I guess what i’m trying to say is #gitgud <3

Armor system is placebo atm. Armor has almost 0 protection from shots unless it’s a pistol bullet hitting your armor plates. I don’t like the concept of 4 armor parts because it makes looting even longer which is something, fast paced br game should avoid at all cost.

The idea that the hit registration in this game has the precision to accurately know what area of the model is effected is really amazing to me. Collecting the entire set is a really neat way to make people need to move and feel like an advantage is gained when looting is done vs turtling for the entire match. Nothing about the armor system in my opinion slows the game down. If anything it is more intensive to move around and promote a faster type of game play.

Not sure is it a bug or is it intended but You can 1 hit headshot from sako while he has 100% helmet.

This was discussed at length during the QA testing. Good points on both sides of this one here. One side feels that dying out of nowhere with no chance to defend ones self seems a bit depressing. But if you really think about it although your opponent killed you with one shot you are ultimately to blame for putting yourself in a situation where that was even an option for him. Now the other side was worried about the timing and pace of the game as well as the rage that would be induced after you landed a well placed and well skilled shot on your opponents skull area and all he did was hide nano up and pz out. Which side of this one am I on? Insignificant, thing is both sides bring up a good and valid point. So where does that leave us? Why in the capable hands of us of course. Finding a common ground to balance this issue will not be easy or loved by all but acceptable to all is all we aim to achieve. I’m sure us as a community can find some common ground to settle on. Also on a personal note if you get waxed by a high caliber round in the dome peace I don’t care what helmet you have on you should be done and ready to try again and try to not get shot in the face this time. Teaching people that because something seems unfair it must be changed is boulderdash. Once you learn to avoid peaks and situations that put only the most important piece of your anatomy at risk, you as a gamer become better and your skill in turn shows. Don’t nerf skill, it makes the game feel cookie cutter and skilled players feel cheated. You had your chance but you failed. After that your thought process should not be “man, that’s unfair I didn’t even see him and I didn’t even have a chance I deserve a chance” That was your chance. Now learn from the mistake and get better. On the other side of the coin think about the dude that spent countless hours perfecting that headshot. Should he not feel that he has been slighted? He spent all his time perfecting your murder and you would reward him with a non lethal headshot? Ok i’ve said too much enough on to the next bullet.

The new color palette, fog, atmosphere is making me a struggle, I’m a hardcore, old school player who loves visual clarity, and I personally enjoyed previous iterations of ambient. The game is too purple atm.

Umm I just don’t feel the same. Maybe i’m missing something here but you seem all over the place and i’m not sure what you have an issue with. Odds are its because after 2 months I cant really recall how the ambient was different. Next time I play i’m going to be looking for purple things and ill report back to you. But is there fog? I agree with you on the visual clarity side. I would like to be able to see like a para grin falcon looking down a telescope. Which honestly is how it feels to me now so we just disagree here.

FOV right now goes up to 100, for first person shooter, where You need to have eyes on everything because sound occlusion doesn’t work well atm is not much. Weapon model is not scaling with fov which makes a weird feeling that You are still attached to console standards of 65 fov. I would really like to use 120 since it gives a proper vision perspective for ‘hide n seek’ type of game where reaction time is the biggest factor.

Ok for one the directional sound in this game blows my mind on the daily. Here I would like you to try something next time you play. When you hear a drop move your mouse from side to side and try to determinate where the drop will appear. Or move your mouse side to side while distant shooting is going on. You can pinpoint it like a potbelly detecting truffles. Pinpoint accuracy is what i’m getting at. I don’t know what audio setup you have but a decent pair of headphones and the ability to move your head from side to side in the game should convince you otherwise about the occlusive sound “issues”. Now, on to the fov. The visual field of the human eye spans approximately 120 degrees of arc. However, most of that arc is peripheral vision. So unless you would like most of the screen blurred out until you moved your mouse toward it i’m not sure you want what you say you want. 100 seems to me to be a nice medium and its not like anyone has it higher so we are all competing on the same level. I say turn the slider up to 120 and let the placebo do its thing.

Radar is hard to navigate and give callouts to teammate, would be good to see additional directions as a circle so You can instantly throw information that enemy is on NW or SE etc.

We can agree on this one. Also quick side note for those who haven’t noticed the compass on the helm has a lighter and darker side. One side is north and the other south I cant remember witch right now.

I liked old menu UI, it was a centralised page where no additional clicks were requiered. With player model being displayed on screen, You cut most of useful information behind tabs, and while I understand that You wanted to make clear UI that 12 year olds will understand, the old concept with simple, and fast loading UI was very good for competitive game like ION, with mini scoreboard, match report, rank, friend list and news feed.

I disagree and here are some of the reasons why. One of the main reasons is simply the old UI was old and the new one is again in my opinion the tits. But this is strictly preference so to each his own. I love it… on a side note if your 12 year old is playing this game then this game is the least of your worries. I’m sure this is a rough UI as the game is still in closed alpha. Which coincidentally is why you are posting here, attempting to make the game better. For that I commend you. But also whole hardenly disagree =)

In terms of map design, some buildings have no sense in terms of corridors, especially castle towers, some entities are wrong scaled, like a hunger games style circle field, which is huge in compare to player models, or a hidden hi-tech cave with nothing in it, or sights to pick up are very small and hard to see, or item bins being too high so You cannot see what item is hidden there until You hover and see through wall.

The following issues are apparent and real. But mindbogglingly obvious. Maybe i’m wrong about that. Maybe you are the first one to bring these issues to light and i’m the asshole here. It stands to reason the devs need a reminder every now and then that things clip threw walls and attachments are a scootch small. As for the scaling of the building and unfinished areas I feel kind of like an ass saying this but the game is in closed alpha. Honestly the thing should barely run and if it does it should be buggy as hell. Honestly I’ve seen beta tests with worse builds then this closed alpha. You are right though that shit needs to be fixed. Get on it boys :wink:

Player looting need serious rework,while I like the concept of throwed ammo boxes, The items attached to player body are hidden until You hover mouse on them which makes hard and long to navigate.

I agree, but what is the best solution? I was brain thinking about this for a little and may have a solution or at least a small snowball to throw your way. I love what you did with the attachment hotkeys and ui for the inventory. Now bring that ingenuity over to the looting department if you will. Make it so that you can loot someone with hotkeys. Imagine if you will for a moment keybinds just for looting that you mash over a dead player and it sucks up just the things you press the hotkeys for. When i’m attaching a sight on the fly and I know I have one sight and 2 silencers in my inventory I just mash that shit and poof the sight is attached. That’s a fucking masterpiece if you ask me. So lootbinds would be an awesome and inquisitive solution to the issue. Binds for nanos, ammos and different attachments would be boss, not to mention it fits right into your separate appendage armor scheme. You could effectively have the single most efficient looting system out there. Right now its a dumpster fire of confusion and frustration trying to get the nanos, guns, armor, and modifiers you want to use because for one, standing still or close too still causes acute and incurable dead syndrome and further more I’ve found myself recently just saying its not worth it. I mean what good is 3 nanos a 6x’s and a santa hat if you ded?

While it’s real alpha

You good sir have no idea of what you speak! Ill get some good ol copy pasta to educate you a little on the ways of software development.- The alpha phase of the release life cycle is the first phase to begin software testing (alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, used as the number 1). In this phase, developers generally test the software using white-box techniques. Additional validation is then performed using black-box or gray-box techniques, by another testing team. Moving to black-box testing inside the organization is known as alpha release.
Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. Alpha software may not contain all of the features that are planned for the final version In general, external availability of alpha software is uncommon in proprietary software, while open source software often has publicly available alpha versions. The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete… Real fucking alpha he says, i’m guessing you have little to no idea whisky tango foxtrot you mean when you say that. Ok that may have been a little over the top there at the end but come on man. I have a issue with people who talk about things like they know something because they played 1.3 they have this preconceived notion of what alpha should be or is. Like I said earlier I’ve had the opportunity to play fully released games with less issues then this current build.

With all of that said i’m excited to read a rebuttal. I’m refuting your opinion and stance on the issues here with sas and panash so you better bring it "oldschool"gamer. Honestly I hope some real good comes out of this. The only reason i’m even writing this is to get a reaction and hopefully get peoples opinions and thought about the direction of the game. You said you wish the dev team was more transparent about the direction of the game. Yet you fail to realize we are the direction. Its the whole reason in house testing and ancient practices like that are no longer the industry standard any more. We are giving feedback and reporting bugs not because we have nothing better to do but because we want this to be the last gosh damn time we have to do this. We want the competitive fps we deserve damn it. And where other games fell short or just simply had no idea what was happening they were going in because they were worried about a bottom line, this game is the shining light that instills hope in my child like mind. Because us as dedicated gamer’s know its been far to long since we felt the sense of wonderment and joy we so desperately urn for. Now is our time to watch something great be born NAY created. Something almost monolithic. We gather here in this relm of the internet to take our stand and let our nerd flag fly, for this day we with a little help from the developers over at DEFINE HUMAN STUDIOS, LLC develop the last game you will ever desire. The last game you will ever need to fathom, Islands of Nyne™ coming soon™

Hi ZGToRRent3H my handle is BOBBYTURKALiNO1 and I challenge you to a debate. LIVE on twitch. All you have to do is agree and ill pm you the deets. It would be a standard debate highlighting your stand on certain issues and my stand on the other side of those issues. whaduyasay? Here are some general guild lines about debate if you are interested. The topic will be Islands of Nyne duh… http://flippedtips.com/plegal/crit3/a5.html

word,
BOBBYTURKALiNO1

So did this debate actually happen? I’m super interested in reading more from both. As someone who’s going to be heavily invested in the competitive side of this I really want to get more debates out there that help with the improvement of gameplay/balance.

Let’s try to answer to some of your points and concerns.

I don’t know what TTK is…

So how can we even discuss and talk when You don’t understand basic meanings of shorts regarding any shooter. TTK stands for Time To Kill, How much time on average You need to spend to kill someone. From the current alpha, I can say that it’s insanely low, maybe because I used Storm and Sako most of the time, and they are insanely powerful, But I also had a chance to 2-3 tap players with AK with full armor, shield and helmet which doesn’t make sense for me.

Those shots you refer to as “random” are aimed and fired with purpose and grace

TL;DR; Someone saw me first before I saw him which leads to a problem with TTK. You can’t counter the fight from behind because player with good aim can kill You quickly.

Nothing about the armor system in my opinion slows the game down

Since the game is using RNG loot instead of fixed loot, armor system was programmed to have parts on similar range But I noticed that usually You can find 2 parts of armor while the third one is still a ‘lucky shot’ which leads to unfair advantages due to bad RNG which is a common problem in battle royale games going competitive. While armor system gives you no protection at all in current state, it still feels wrong to search and look down with Your mouse to find third part that can be crucial in upcoming gunfights.

“man, that’s unfair I didn’t even see him and I didn’t even have a chance I deserve a chance” That was your chance. Now learn from the mistake and get better.

You basically said, You want to see PUBG playstyle of constant camping instead of fast paced, run n gun experience ION has to offer? There are a lot of empty areas on the map, tree lines can’t help You when You don’t that sniper is watching You from unknown position and can kill You instantly unless You have shield.

Maybe i’m missing something here but you seem all over the place and i’m not sure what you have an issue with.

I played on very low and the whole fog/ambience was purpleish, like on this screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/WM1jdco.jpg I don’t like it. The color is confusing to my eyes mainly because they never saw a purple forest :>

When you hear a drop move your mouse from side to side and try to determinate where the drop will appear.

It’s hard to spot any difference, might be something on my end, but in multiple games I don’t have issues with sound occlusion at all.

One of the main reasons is simply the old UI was old and the new one is again in my opinion the tits.

It’s not a reason, it’s your preference, I pointed out arguments about, why old UI was better in terms of accesibility without using additional clicks.

I agree, but what is the best solution? I was brain thinking about this for a little

Borderlands style looting would fit perfectly.

You good sir have no idea of what you speak! Ill get some good ol copy pasta to educate you a little on the ways of software development.

You don’t need to, it’s their choice to use ‘alpha’ terms as marketing plan to attract players to shape the future of ION. So far I’m not much impressed with how they stay in touch with the community but at least we got a survey so there is a light of hope :>

Lol… doesn’t know what TTK is yet argue’s the OP’s point anyway, making it completely off topic. While I haven’t played the game yet, unfortunately, TTK is a big deal in any game for this genre.

FOV is also hugely important for success in any FPS game. Setting your FOV to 120 isn’t going to cause the edges of your monitor to blur lol. It might cause a slight fish-eye effect & make things appear further away (and can drop your framerate slightly) but it 100% DOES give an advantage in finding targets/threats to your right or left. Some people wouldn’t like playing with FOV that high, but in a COMPETITIVE shooter, this should be an option.

If you are going to challenge someone to a public debate, you really should be able to speak the language (or at least be smart enough to google lol.)

Having not played the game, I can’t comment on the rest, but this response and challenge literally just made me laugh out loud. Very obviously console generation and non-comp player, or you would know these things backwards and forwards.

Hey friends,

Closing this thread. Lets try not to necro 6+ month old posts as a lot of it is outdated at this point.